Wednesday 25 December 2013

2 May 1915

ANZAC - On the night of 2 May Captain Kenneth Gresson of the Canterbury Battalion was warned that he would be required to launch a company attack from Walkers Ridge in support of operations at the head of Monash Valley that were intended to capture Battleship Hill. Mistaken reports had caused General Godley to believe that there was still a chance they could break through. Gresson showed considerable initiative and great moral courage that night.

Kenneth Gresson"On receiving these orders I immediately went up to the top of Walker's Ridge with the officers and made a reconnaissance as well as I was able through the periscope. As soon as it was dark I took the Company into the Wellington trenches and led them over the parapet into the dense scrub in front. The ground was thickly covered with Turkish dead and the stench was horrible. As soon as I had got all the Company out and lying down in the bushes I went forward with two scouts to examine the ground in front which was entirely unknown to me. I found as I expected a narrow neck or saddle connecting the ridge we were on with the hill which was our objective and across this ran a track about two feet wide. It had evidently been used by the Turks on returning for it was well worn and strewn with corpses. On advancing along this I found that the other end was commanded by two Turkish trenches one of which was firing but not in our direction though a few stray bullets came across occasionally. It was at once evident to me that any attempt to take the Company across this narrow track must result in failure as the neck would be swept from these trenches either with rifle fire or by machine guns and men could not be put across in sufficient numbers to assault. I consulted two of my officers and found they supported me in my opinion. I accordingly returned to Walker's Ridge and making my way to Brigade Headquarters informed the Brigadier that I considered it would be foolish to attempt the crossing. Although obviously reluctant to abandon the scheme he left the matter in my hands and I returned to the Company and ordered them to retire which was accomplished without any confusion." (Captain Kenneth Gresson, Canterbury Battalion, New Zealand Brigade, NZ&A Division, NZEF)




SOURCE: IWM Documents, K M Gresson, diary entry 2/5/1915

No comments:

Post a Comment