Saturday 1 February 2014

4 June 1915

HELLES - THIRD BATTLE OF KRITHIA - To start the Third Battle of Krithia the bombardment of identified Turkish strongpoints opened up at 08.00, then at 11.05 the concentrated barrage of the whole Turkish front line began. Once again only the French 75's, some of which had been loaned to the British sector, were well supplied with high explosive shells and by far the great preponderance of shells fired by British guns were ineffectual shrapnel.

4 June ManchesterProbably as a result of this imbalance reactions to the bombardment varied widely amongst the troops depending on the amount of destruction in front of them. Some, like Private Ridley Sheldon, were mightily impressed.

"It was such an inferno of noise, that I was stone deaf for a fortnight afterwards; and there was a tornado of hellish fire, so fierce and terrible, that spread death and destruction all around. Any orders that were given had to be passed down the Trenches from man to man, by his yelling in to the ears of his mate as loudly as he possibly could. The bombardment consisted of shrapnel and lyddite; and shells in thousands were dropped, blowing parts of the Turkish Trenches to atoms, and completely carrying away the barbed wire entanglements which the enemy had erected. Every shell that dropped seemed to tell; for we saw, hurled up into the air, Legs, Arms, Heads, bodies, parts of limbs and every imaginable thing. It was an awful and fearful sight, most gruesome in the extreme, and blood curdling." (Private Ridley Sheldon, 1/6th Manchester Regiment, 127th Brigade, 42nd Division)

But in other area it was a sad disappointment to those who knew their lives might depend on the efficacy of the bombardment. In the middle of the British line

To the right of the 29th Division was the 42nd Division attacking on either side of Krithia Nullah. The Lancashire territorials had been rank amateurs when they had landed at Helles just 4 weeks before. Frightened by the noise of battle, afraid of the dark, terrified by sight of mangled human remains; unable to perform even the simplest of military tasks, they had been all but useless. Their training had not been sufficient to withstand the shock of war. But they had matured in the trenches, gained that vital experience, learnt to control themselves under fire and now they were ready for battle. The attack was carried out by the Manchesters of the 127th Brigade. As Private Ridley Sheldon found it a terrific trial.

"I shall never forget the moment when we had to leave the shelter of the trenches. It is indeed, terrible, the first step you take - right in the face of the most deadly fire, and to realise that any moment you may be shot down; but if you are not hit, then you seem to gather courage. And when you see on either side of you, men like yourself, it inspires you with a determination to press forward. Away we went over the parapet with fixed bayonets - one line of us like the wind. But it was absolute murder for men fall like corn before the sickle. I had not gone more than 20 yards beyond our first trench, about 60 yards in all when I was shot through the left leg about 5 inches above the knee. At once I realised what had happened, for it seemed as enough someone had taken a red-hot gimlet and suddenly thrust it right through my leg. I dropped immediately and could not go any further. Then began one of the most awful and trying walks I have ever had to face in my life. Just think of it! Five miles to face, in full marching order, with my rifle and all my equipment ... all the way from the firing line down to the base; however I did it, I do not know, for my rifle weighed nine pounds five ounces. I walked, I crawled; I dragged myself along as best I could, resting every few minutes; and I never knew there were so many Field Telephone Wires before, for I was continually stumbling over them. But somehow or other I kept pressing on; and the fact that I was going further and further away from the Firing line, each step I took, gave me courage to plod on - nay, it was nothing less than an inspiration."




SOURCE: IWM DOCS, R. Sheldon memoir, pp46-48 & 63

No comments:

Post a Comment